Saturday, July 27, 2013

Collaboration Makes It Happen


It is amazing to me, the number of projects that I've started and finished as a result of sharing a meal with a friend. Many, many times in the past few years, I've found myself at a dead stand still--no prop builds, no stories or books--and after lunch or dinner with a friend, "Bang!" I'm back at it.

There is something inspiring about breaking bread with a fellow artist, writer or builder. Maybe it is because I'm sick of discussing politics, but conversations at the table generally turn to phrases like, "Do you know what I would like to see?" or "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" and before I know it, I'm back at it with both barrels blazing.

The Ghostbuster dinner you see above is a result of one such evening in July 2006 at an Arby's in Oklahoma City. A friend and his son simply asked, "Wouldn't it be cool to make our own Proton Packs?" and that was it, we were off to the races. It took a few months to get going, but on Halloween of that year, we had five packs and a great time chasing ghosts in downtown OKC.

Right now, I'm at exactly the sort of standstill that has lead to a four season "Breaking Bad" binge. Fortunately, the end is in sight (if not only because I've just started season five and season six is yet to be broadcast). Lunch with a good friend yesterday took the above stated route, and after a delicious meal at the Cafe 501 I left with a full stomach and a new graphic novel to write.

What role does collaboration play in your creative process? Has it even gone awry? Let me know what you think about the process and where you get your ideas. I'd love to feature you as a guest blogger here on The Creative Spark.

Until then, check out my podcast with fellow author Roger Colby (Writing Is Hard) called Fanboys On Fiction.

Creative Spark

List five things that are more easier to do with someone helping. Now list five that are easier to do alone. How could a character make one of these scenarios more difficult, with the result being humorous/sad/scary?

1 comment:

  1. Collaboration is one of the most important creative forms of "shot to the arm" that you can get as a writer. Many times I have had the best ideas pop into my brain because I sat down with other creative types and told them about my new project, they chime in, then it takes a crazy hairpin turn, and then you are off to the laptop to churn it out before it goes away.

    Great post, Ryan. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete